The following information should assist you in establishing how I offer quality and safety within all the courses I deliver. This covers the range of qualifications and associated professional memberships that I follow and adhere too in ethical and safe practice.
My professional experience
My instructing, guiding, technical expertise and safety management experience spans 35 years across many disciplines. I held the post of mountaineering/climbing instructor for 5 years at Plas-Y-Brenin, The National Mountain Centre and I have worked in the capacity of freelance instructor for a vast array of outdoor adventure establishments such as Glenmore Lodge (The Scottish National Mountain Centre), Jagged Globe ( Scottish winter courses ) and range of Local Education Authority centres. Currently, I manage Blue Peris Mountain Centre part time alongside guiding and coaching UK wide, and acting as technical expert and safety consultant for a wide range of establishments.
I hold the Winter Mountain Clilmbing Certificate (WMIC) which is the highest Mountain Leader Training Award within the UK for teaching and guiding in summer and winter. https://www.mountain-training.org/qualifications/climbing/winter-mountaineering-and-climbing-instructor
I also hold the Cave Instructor Certificate ( CIC ) which is the highest qualification within the UK for cave instructional and guiding.
In addition to this, I have achieved the Mines module for the CIC award and I am a trainer and assessor for the BCA North Wales local cave and mine leader award
Further qualifications are listed below
I value keeping abreast of developments within my areas of expertise and feel its key to any professional organisation that offers its services. In order to achieve this, I actively became a member of the following ;
Full member of the MIC.org.
Full member of Mountain Training Association (MTA)
Full member of Association of caving instructors ( ACI )
Full member of the Association of Heads of Outdoor Education Centres ( AHOEC )
Full member of Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI)
Mountain Training Awards
I have over 25 years’ experience training and assessing on a range of Mountain Training National Governing Body Awards and I am a course director for all the awards listed and can deliver and run both training and assessment courses
- Summer Mountain Leader
- Rock Climbing Instructor
- Hill and moorland award
- Climbing wall Instructor
British Caving Association Award ( BCA )
- I am a fully affiliated trainer and assessor with the BCA- Local Cave and Mine Leader Award ( LCLMA ) within the North Wales region.
- In addition to this I am a member of the trainer and assessor panel for the LCMLA award within North Wales.
Representation at national level
British Caving Association
- I am currently a member of the Youth Development Group.
- I also sit on the Equipment and Technical Group representing The Council Northern Caving Clubs
- Represented The Association of Mountaineering Instructors ( AMI ) on the Mountain Training board for a period of 2 years. https://www.mountain-training.org
- Represented Mountain Training ( MT ) on the formation of the National Coasteering Charter ( NCC ) https://www.nationalcoasteeringcharter.org.uk
Association of Mountaineering Instructors
- Committee member for 4 years
- Training rep for 2 years
- Delivering MIA based training to their members for a period of 10 years
- Represented the association on a major review of the MCI scheme
British Mountaineering Wales (Cymru)
- Secretary for 2 years
- Access rep for 1 year
- Mountain Training rep for 2 years
Outdoor Qualifications I hold
Mountaineering and Climbing
- Winter Mountain and climbing Instructor ( WMCI )
- Mountain and Climbing Instructor ( MCI)
- Summer Mountain Leader
- Rock Climbing Instructor
- Cave Instructor Certificate ( CIC )
Underground Mine exploration
- Mine leader Level 1 and 2
- Level 3 sea kayak coach
- 5-star sea kayak
- Coastal Navigation & Tidal Planning
- Open Water Navigation Course
- Level 2 canoe coach
- 4-star canoe trained
- Level 2 kayak coach
- 4 star trained kayak
- I am a qualified first aid trainer with Rescue and Emergency Care (REC link) https://recfirstaid.net
- BSs QTS in Outdoor Education and Science secondary teaching degree at I.M.Marsh, Liverpool John Moores University
- Over 30 years’ experience of working in the outdoor activity / education and adventure industry
- 14 years’ experience of managing an outdoor education / mountain centre which delivers high level activities to its customers many of who are young people.
- 20 + years of writing risk assessments, operational guidance, delivering staff training, assessing staff.
- Involved in 16 AALA inspections in my career
- Held position of safeguarding officer for 14 years at the centre I manage
- In charge of all aspects of HSE at Blue Peris
- I am going through my training and probation to become an AALA inspector
- CIEH Level 3 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace
- ERCA – PPE / Equipment inspection course
- Delivering and Managing Service Excellence
- Manual Handling
- Risk assessment